In Kenya Tsetse flies occupy 138,000 km2; approximately 23% of the country, in 38 out of 47 counties with a total human population of about 11 million at risk of infection. Eight species of tsetse flies are found in Kenya with their distribution having a positive correlation with wildlife conservation areas. The potential of sleeping sickness outbreak is high in the Lake Victoria basin that is shared with Tanzania and Uganda.
The agricultural sector contributes 24% of the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP); of which 12% is contributed by the livestock subsector. Animal diseases are a major constraint to the productivity of this sub-sector. The socio-economic consequences of Tsetse and Trypanosomiasis (T&T) cuts across important productive sectors that include human health, tourism and wildlife.
Below is a table showing the Tsetse fly species in Kenya
|G. brevipalpis||Coastal belt extending from Somalia to Tanzania and on the Kenya/Ethiopia border on the eastern shores of Lake Turkana|
|G. fuscipleuris||South –West Kenya (Narok and Trans-Mara)|
|G. longipennis||Coastal belt extending into Kajiado|
|G. pallidipes||All tsetse fly belts in Kenya|
|G. austeni||Coastal belt extending from Somalia to Tanzania|
|G. swynnertoni||South-West Kenya (Narok and Trans-Mara)|
|G. morsitans submorsitans||Tsetse fly belt on Kenya Uganda border North of Mt Elgon|
|G. fuscipes fuscipes||Lake Victoria basins and its River systems|
- Lake Victoria basin fly belt: (Extending to Uganda and Tanzania)This covers Suba, Rachuonyo, Kisumu, Nyando, Siaya, Bondo, Busia, Teso, Bungoma and Mount Elgon districts.
- Narok – Kajiado fly belt: (Extending to Tanzania).This covers Migori, Kuria, Gucha, Bomet, Kajiado, Narok and Trans-Mara.
- Lake Bogoria – Baringo – Kerio Valley – Koibatek – Turkwell fly belt: This covers, West Pokot, Turkana (extending to Uganda), Keiyo, Nakuru (Solai) and Marakwet districts.
- The Central Kenya fly belt: This covers upper Tana River drainage system, Kangundo, Yatta, Masinga, Makueni, Mwingi, Thika, Embu,
- Mbeere, Meru south, Meru East, Nyambene, Lower Thika and Maragua districts.
- Isiolo- Samburu fly belt:This covers Isiolo, Samburu and Laikipia districts
- Coastal fly belt: (Extending to Somalia and Tanzania).This covers Taita Taveta, Kwale, Kilifi, Malindi, Lamu, Mombasa, Ijara and Garissa.
- Isolated fly belts:Moyale, Wajir, Turkana, Marsabit and Mandera (Daua river system)